Customizing an IKEA bookshelf

We purchased this IKEA bookshelf years ago when we moved to Los Angeles.


 above image courtesy of IKEA

When we moved to Nashville we brought it with us, but it did not travel well!  The back of the shelf has a cardboard/particle board thingie (very technical term!) that holds the entire shelf upright and after the move it split. We tried to repair it with tape (why??  I don't know?), but it just wasn't working.  We didn't want E to grab onto it and the whole thing come toppling down on her.  Instead of throwing her out I decided to try and fix the old girl.

I painted the shelf with Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint in Paris Gray.  I wasn't sure if it would work since I have never really painted anything with Chalk Paint that wasn't real wood.  Needless to say ASCP worked wonders!  Here is a picture with the frame painted.  Sorry for the blurriness.. I snagged this with my phone which usually takes better pictures than this, but I guess the only one to blame is the photographer...

I wanted to do something with the back of the shelf so I had some thin paneling type board (again..so technical around here) cut from Home Depot.  I wasn't going to tell you all this, but I will go ahead and be honest.  I had to buy it and have it cut twice, since apparently I can't use a measuring tape. It cost about $9.00 (times 2 = $18) for the back board.  I then covered the panel with fabric I got at Joann's with a 50% off coupon.  Total for the fabric came to about $10.00.  I used about 2.5 yds.  I used spray adhesive to hold the fabric onto the paneling and then nailed the back in place. 




Now that I'm looking at the shelf I am really loving the fabric on the back and the splashes of red.  I'll be posting all about or home office re-do shortly, so stay tuned for that.

Danielle


Linking up to these fabulous parties!
Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern Style
Whatever you want Wednesday @ Free Pretty Things for You
Wednesday's Wowzers @ Oopsey Daisy
Open House Party @ No Minimalist Here
Inspired Creations Link Party @ Embracing Change
Thrifty Things Friday @ The Thrifty Groove
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
Furniture Friday @ Decorating Insanity
Under $100 Link Party @ Beyond the Picket Fence
Friday Feature Party @ Redoux
Catch as Catch Can @ My Repourposed Life
LaThrifta's Cheap Finds  LaThrifta's Cheap Finds @ The Scott's Crib
Saturday Night Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
Sunday Showcase @ Under the Table and Dreaming
Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
Manic Monday Link Party @ Serendipidity & Spice

 

Client Pieces

We were so excited to receive our newest commissioned furniture refinish project.  Here are a pic of the two dressers before.  Once I saw them I got a little nostalgic.  Doesn't every child who grew up in the late 70's/early 80's have memories of this type of dresser?  I had a hand-me-down set from my cousin and when we got them I though it was the coolest thing ever!  My parents still have the tall dresser, which is similar to this one, in their attic.  Once my mom saw these two pieces refinished she decided to pull that old dresser down from the attic and try a little magic of her own.  I'll post pics when she is finished.
Here is the before of the tall dresser...

 Our friend and client, Kara, picked her two colors from the Annie Sloan Chalk Paint line.  For the chest of drawers she picked the lovely Duck Egg Blue.  This was the first time I used the Duck Egg and I loved it.  I really wish these pictures did these pieces justice, but the basement isn't the ideal place for a staged photo shoot!  K said she would send pics once they are all set in their new home. 

 Here is a close up of the detail.  We did a gentle distress and added new hardware. 

 The picture below doesn't quite capture the color right--it looks a little light, but the above one is right on!  Such a serene color and perfect for the Master Bedroom at a Beach House!

 The hardware adds just a little bit of softness. 

Below is the long and low dresser before...

 We used Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint in Versailles for this one.  This is such a great color for a children's room...and an even better color for a children's room at a beach house.  I think K picked the absolute best colors for these two pieces.  The color in the below pic is more true than the one of the actual dresser, but again, lighting in a workshop basement...not ideal!

 And here is the finished dresser.  We used a more modern, clean pull and I think they turned out great! 

I'll be sure to post pictures of these two beauties once they land at their beach retreat this summer!

Danielle